THUS 2023 - Torun Humanities and Social Sciences Summer Program
The Faculties of History, Humanities, Philosophy and Social Sciences, and Political Science and Security Studies of the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń, Poland, are pleased to welcome applications for the 3rd edition of THUS program. THUS is an opportunity for students interested in Humanities and Social Sciences to participate in a 4-week-long summer research project in one of the following areas:
- Ancient History
- East Central and Northern Europe in the Middle Ages
- European Studies
- Fine Arts
- History of Historiography
- Internal Security
- International Relations
- Medieval Archeology
- Medieval History
- Modern History
- National Security
- Philosophy and Theory of Politics
- Political Systems
- Political Thought
Advanced undergraduate students from all countries are encouraged to send applications for the summer program till April 20th, 2023, 14:00 CET. The results of the selection procedure will be announced on the 12th of May, 2023.
Please note that we cannot reimburse your travel expenses to Toruń / Bydgoszcz.
The main component of the summer program is active participation in the selected humanities and social sciences research project offered by the staff members of the Nicolaus Copernicus University; please see the topics and their descriptions below. Interested students are welcome to contact possible advisors for more details concerning the foreseen projects and discuss the project's dates.
See the list of topics and advisors
Apart from the projects, once a week we will organise invited lectures for all the participants. We will also offer short trips/sightseeing in the Toruń area on selected weekends.
All students will be asked to give 15-minute presentations on the results of their projects at the end of their stay in Toruń.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Schedule for 2023 edition:
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
- January 9th till March 5th, 2023
- submission of the research project proposals by the projects' supervisors
- March 15th, 2023 (extended for THUS till March 19th, 2023)
- announcement of the selected projects on the TSSP web sites
- March 20th – April 20th, 2023
- recruitment of foreign students for individual research projects
May 8th, 2023 (May 12th, 2023)
- announcement the list ( and reserve list) of participants
May 2nd – May 31st, 2023 (June 1st - 18th, 2023)
- recruitment of NCU students
- May - June, 2023
- formalities for foreign students
June 30th, 2023 (at the beginning of July, 2023)
- announcement the list (and reserve list) of participants from NCU
- July, August - mid September 2023
- implementation of Summer Programs
We kindly ask all interested students to provide us with the following information in English
- Application form; (closed)
- Curriculum Vitae (max. 4 pages);
- Motivation letter (max. 1 page);
- The title(s) of the project(s) they would like to contribute to
- Consent to personal data processing.
- Optional: letter of recommendation, e.g. from their scientific advisor, a staff member from their institute, former internship advisor, etc.
- Proof of student status.
Completed applications should be sent to thus [at] umk.pl
before the deadline of April 20th, 2023, 14:00 CET
. The results of the selection procedure will be announced on May 8th, 2023.
Please note that we cannot reimburse your travel expenses to Toruń / Bydgoszcz. See the official regulations for the Toruń Students Summer Programs:
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Qualified students will receive accommodation in the dormitories of the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń
and funds for the subsistence allowance (PLN 70 a day - minus 10% tax). However, travel and the insurance costs will be not reimbursed.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
We encourage prospective summer students to send questions about the science projects directly to the advisors, whose emails are listed below each project description
Questions that are not related to the specific projects can be sent to the school organizers: thus [at] umk.pl
^ ^ ^ ^ ^